Of COURSE, I made a baby quilt. Actually, there are two baby quilts so far because measuring and figuring yardage needed is just so darned tiresome..... My lazy method, to just start chopping up fabric and let the chips fall where they may, got a little out of hand on this project.
The nursery theme is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I found a Hungry Caterpillar line of fabric, which would do nicely for nursery curtains and the quilt backing. But I wanted to be a bit more imaginative for the quilt top. I had seen this zoomy and wonderful quilt online. It's from Red Pepper Quilts, and if you like your quilts bright and happy, you should click right over there and see what else is up. Visiting that blog is always like a breath of fresh air.
The plan was to use the Rail Fence layout, but with colors from the Hungry Caterpillar book.
And so I started cutting strips...and cutting, and cutting. My rationale is that I wanted lots of variety among the bright prints, but I need to tell you that I ended up making enough blocks for THREE of these quilts.
#2 has gone to a friend with a new baby; #3 is still in pieces, waiting in the wings.
And here's #2, in progress (I know it's #2 because that's where the purple blocks landed):
Simple, simple sewing, but thank goodness for a design wall when it came time to put it all together. I had to recite a little mantra as I placed the blocks, in order to have everything facing the correct way. Just a little confusing...
When it came time to quilt, I dusted off my walking foot and did something I haven't done in a long time--quilted a grid, which seemed to suit the contemporary look of this quilt.
The quilt looks cute, cute, cute in Miss Cora's nursery!
Inspiration: Red Pepper Quilts' Zig Zag Rail Fence Quilt.
Dimensions: Quilt #1: 42" X 51"; quilt #2: 45" X 45".
Fabrics: 100% cottons
Batting: Warm and Natural--80/20 cotton/poly.
Quilting thread: Top: 40 wt. rayon; bobbin: Mettler 60 wt. cotton.