Sunday, September 06, 2009
When I first saw the graceful puddling of the silk charmeuse I'm using for my daughter's wedding dress, I knew that beautiful flowers could be made from this fabric.
This is why I bought a good deal of extra fabric--not just to cover my tail in case of an error, but to have fabric to play with.
I cut bias strips with my handy-dandy new 4 inch wide yardstick, folded the strips in half lengthwise (without pressing the folded edge), and sewed gathering stitches along the raw edges. I gathered the fabric to about half its length and constructed the flowers by wrapping the fabric around and around a folded center bud, and then stitching it in place on crinoline. The flowers got better as I made more and loosened up my technique a bit. I tried adding a fold in the fabric every so often and liked the effect. Whoo hoo--this fabric makes ME look good!
These flowers will sit at the base of the dress back neckline, I like a bridal dress with back detail--wedding spectators spend a fair amount of time looking at the back of the bride and groom. I need to give everyone something to look at! A wedding is theater, after all...
These books below were a huge help to me in this floral endeavor. Both are primarily about making ribbon flowers but a lot of the details translate very well to working with non-ribbon fabric. I scoped out library copies first but decided both needed to be in my own library. Some books are just keepers. And this sort of thing tends to go out of print quickly--The Candace Kling book appeared to be out of print and I had to buy a used copy online, but the stars were smiling down and I got a good deal.
So--things are coming together. I have a couple details to complete on the ring-bearer bag and I'll post a picture of that once it's done. Aside from that, we're making lists and have a couple boxes around for collecting items that need to be packed. We leave Wednesday morning.
Happy Labor Day to those who celebrate it Monday.