Tuesday, September 30, 2008
The fruits of my week Up North: 100 Log Cabin blocks, made entirely from my scrap bin. Talk about my back pages! It was fun to dig through to see what was in the bin--lots of surprises.
I wasn't sure just how many 1.5 inch strips it took to make a bed-sized Log Cabin, but I'm here to tell you that I probably have enough strips for AT LEAST three more quilts. 100 blocks barely made a dent!
I decided to throw caution to the winds in making the blocks: I sewed with long strips and trimmed after each strip was added. I just couldn't face pre-cutting all those logs. Ugh.
But it's like Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later--not pre-cutting the logs necessitated spending more time with the truing up process. So timewise, perhaps it's a wash. Or put another way, there is no free lunch. Still, I think it was more fun to root through the bin as I sewed to see what treasures (or horrors) lurked within.
And to bore my friends with the fascinating tales of where and why I had bought each fabric. LOL
A scrap quilt like this is moral high ground and entitlement to buy more fabric. Not a quilt that will break any new ground, but I'm having fun with it.
Can't wait to lay out the blocks and see just what I've got.